Friday, December 12, 2008

Learning Something New...








Aside from making cootie catchers in elementary school, I have never really played with origami. I did some iris folding several years ago and really enjoyed it, but kind of hit a dead end with it. At any rate, I am attempting to learn a new skill - origami.



Here are my first attempts at making some wishing star earrings. These are "upcycled" from a grocery store paper bag (thank you Lowe's Foods). As you can see, I need to work on consistency as the stars are not the same size. However, one of my ears is higher than the other, so this should work out fine. LOL


My second attempt turned out better. The stars are made from scraps of
paper I had from a previous project and the red beads are Swarovski crystals. In true wishing star fashion, a holiday wish is inscribed on the inside of each star. I am wearing these today to see how they hold up. I did not finish them with any kind of sealer, so we shall see how rough and tumble they can take it.
I am loving making these! Now, what to do with a bunch of origami earrings...

No comments: